Wednesday, February 2, 2011

About

photo credit to my amazing boyfriend
I suppose I'll start by sharing a little about myself.  I have always had a camera with me.  I was the annoying friend, constantly popping a flash in the face of anyone within 10 feet of me.  I have boxes of photographs stacked in my old closet at my parents house in Virginia; documenting everything from the middle school cafeteria to family vacations.
I have my father to thank for passing the shutterbug-gene on to me.  I can remember being an annoyed 10 year old, holding a smile for what seemed like a million years while he focused his fully manual, 35mm minolta for the perfect shot.  As an adult I'm grateful that he took the time to create those images of my childhood.  One of my favorite things to do when I visit my parents is to dig out the dozens of photo albums and boxes of stray kodak envelopes that have yet to be put in albums.  I could look at them for days.  They represent a lifetime of memories and I'm lucky to have a dad that has been dedicated to documenting literally, EVERYTHING.
So I'm the girl with the camera.  Whether it's the one on my iPhone or my little canon point and shoot, or my polaroid (yes, I have a polaroid and I love it) or my DSLR; I always have one with me.
Someone I admire once told me that I'd never make any money as an artist.  At the age of 18, I took that advice to heart and tried going to school for something logical like biology or business or education, but none of those held my interest.  After several years of soul searching (cliche, I know...) I realized I needed a career that allowed me to be creative and decided to pursue photography, and an art education, seriously.  I haven't looked back or second-guessed since.
I'm a senior Studio Art major at the College of Charleston.  My focus is photography (though I've grown to love printmaking as well, but that's another story).  I've taken classes, intern at the Charleston Center for Photography, shot weddings, events, portraits, products and assisted professional photographers.  Now it's time to create a business of my own.
This will be where I display my work, share bits of my life and things that inspire me.

No comments:

Post a Comment